Consuming anything that contains calories breaks your fast. However, some health benefits of fasting can still be enjoyed with some low-calorie foods. More subjects that center on how many calories break a fast during intermittent fasting will be discussed here. So, read on to be informed.
What Is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting works by indulging in an eating and fasting window. This simply means that the eating time is distinct from the fasting time. There are various methods of intermittent fasting window that can be engaged by people.
With intermittent fasting, you might have to stay without eating or drinking foods for several hours, or even a day or more. So, there are eating breaks in between periods of fasting. You can read the article How does intermittent fasting work? for more on this subject.
Intermittent fasting speeds up the rate at which your body attains the state of ketosis. This is about how the body starts burning body fat for fuel. Burning fat for fuel instead of carbs does a lot in achieving weight loss goals.
If done well and by eligible people, intermittent fasting contributes to healthy living. For example, insulin and blood levels can drop significantly to healthy levels. There are many other health benefits for eligible people engaging in intermittent fasting.
Can You Eat While Fasting During Your Intermittent Fast?
For the best results, eligible people are supposed to stay away from food. Even during the time to eat; only the right diet should be consumed. But the truth is that not everyone can participate without eating any meal or having any drink. The reasons for this include:
- The need to have energy during the hours you are fasting
- To stay motivated even as you fast
- To enable those who are not fully able to partake in intermittent fasting to enjoy some of its health benefits
But if you must consume something during the time allotted for fasting, you should go for things that have low amounts of calories. This is why water is the best for this reason. Water has no calories. But if you have to consume something other than water, some of the options include:
- Coffee – However, make sure it is without sugar, cream, and other additions that raise the calorie levels
- Tea – It is the same rule as with coffee above. The goal is to have as few calories as possible (if you have to eat or drink something)
- Herbal Tea
- Watermelon – Some people might have to resort to things that offer more calories than the aforementioned options. The calories in watermelon (especially if you do not take so much) are few.
For all the days you will be engaging in intermittent fasting, be mindful of your diet. By and large, pay less attention to things that have lots of calories. Even during your period of eating, prioritize things that contain nutrients like protein.
In this article, we have touched on how many calories break a fast during intermittent fasting. We have also filled you in on acceptable foods to eat when you have to break your intermittent fast. You should make informed decisions from now on. You can also see the nutrition section of the Alzdem Health website for more related information.